Sharing Knowledge About Extreme Precipitation
in the Southwest Region of North America
This day-long event will begin a new technical and scientific symposium focused on precipitation extremes in the Southwest region of North America. It is a stand-alone symposium modeled after the highly regarded California Extreme Precipitation Symposium (CEPSYM) in its 24th year.
2018 Event Details
Registration fee includes parking permit, shuttle, continental breakfast, lunch, two breaks, and reception. Payment online with credit card; sorry, purchase orders are not accepted.
- $250 on or before March 16, 2018
- $350 on or after March 17, 2018
- $20 for students* on or before March 16, 2018
- $40 for students* on or after March 17, 2018
*Note for students: Limited number of student discounted registrations available. First come, first served.
Parking and Shuttle Information
Parking will be provided at the Revelle College parking lot on UCSD main campus (along Scholars Drive South near Revelle College Drive). Parking permits are included in the registration fee. Parking attendants will be passing out parking permits from 7:15am to 9:15am for you to display in your car. Your "Visitor" parking permit entitles you to park in spaces designated as Visitor (V), Student (S), or Staff/Grad Students (B).
We will have a shuttle at the beginning and end of the meeting, running between the parking lot and the Scripps Seaside Forum. At other times, the free SIO Shuttle (UCSD shuttle for Scripps) will be available. Allow an additional 20-30 minutes if you are using the shuttle; the shuttle picks up and drops off every 15 minutes during the day. Parking is limited. We would recommend taking a hotel shuttle (check with your hotel) or ride service as the easiest option.
Registration questions? Contact: Julie Kalansky, Ph.D. via email to: jkalansky at ucsd.edu
Hotel Rates for SWEPSYM
Reservations must be made no later than Monday, March 5, 2018 for the special rate.
As of February 1, rooms at Hotel La Jolla are available on a first-come, first-served basis at a rate of $169.00 per night. Use the online booking code of SWEPS (enter this in the "Group Code" field online) or mention "SWEPSYM Room Block" on the phone. This special rate applies only for the following nights:
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018 (20 rooms)
- Thursday, March 29, 2018 (5 rooms)
Hotel La Jolla
CURIO collection by Hilton
7955 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
- Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi for all registered hotel guests.
- Distance to SWEPSYM at Scripps Seaside Forum, 8610 Kennel Way, is one mile walk on level sidewalks.
- Complimentary Shuttle to and from Scripps Seaside Forum is available only by advance appointment with front desk. Shuttle seats six.
- $25.00 Overnight Valet Parking per night, discounted from $37.00. (No self parking at hotel. Street parking near hotel in residential area is an option.)
- Check-in time is 4:00pm; check-out time is 11:00am.
- Reservations website
- Reservations phone: 1-800-HILTONS
What is the purpose of SWEPSYM?
The purpose of the Southwest Extreme Precipitation Symposium (SWEPSYM) is:
- To focus attention on precipitation extremes in the Southwest region of North America,
- To share technical and scientific information and knowledge about the various factors responsible for producing extreme precipitation and the hydrologic processes responsible for generating runoff in semi-arid and arid areas,
- To advance our understanding of the causes of extreme precipitation with the hope of increasing the warning time in advance of extreme precipitation ranging from droughts to floods, and
- To exchange information on engineering, water management, flood control, agricultural, and other Southwest regional needs for information on extreme precipitation.